The city of Orastie was documentary attested in 1224. The archeologic discoveries within the fortress shows the existence of a cemetery, a rotonda ( a circular chapel with two or three levels, with a donjon built on a palisade from the X-XI centuries. Some of the fortress elements were destroyed during the Mongol invasion in 1241. During the latest archeological researches, 49 medieval coins were discovered here. The fortress of Orăștie was an important architectural and military objective. The works started in 1300 when a rock enclosure was built and reinforced after 1347, provided with a water channel which enclosed the area. In this period the tower at the enterance was built and the rest of the bastions were built immediately after 1400. The Turkish invasions in the XV century left deep traces in the history of the stronghold, the fortress being totally or partially destroyed repeatedly.In 1572, the princeps of Transylvania, Stefan Bathory handed over the fortress for administration and protection to the University in Sibiu, complaining about the degradation of the construction. The authorities rehabilitated the construction in order to get through continuous siege. The stronghold is provided with rock enclosures with arcades on the inside, water channels, towers and bastions outside the enclosure. The documents attests the importance of the stronghold because of its bastions: in one of them they kept the gun powder, in the other used to be the torture place for the enemies, others served as barns and storage for food, in one of them a brad oven was built. The stronghold had special gates provided with ascendant bridges. The stronghold had a rectangular shape.
The last restoration of the stronghold was in 1735, after that it lost the military purpose. The protective water channel was blocked up with soil on which the citizens of the city built their homes.Today, the central part of the stronghold is occupied by two churches, one Lutheran and another Reformed. The Calvin Reformed church is the oldest functional religious building of the city. At the origin, it was a Catholic church built in Gothic style between XIII-XIV centuries. The building was finalized according to the initial design. In the middle, around it the fortress was built. In the the XV century it suffered from the Ottoman invasion dated 1420, 1438 and 1479. The refurbishment of the church occured between 1631-1752. The earthquake in 1839 damaged a lot the tower and the building, the segment between the loft and the new tower was built in 1844 with no particular style. The last restoration was accomplished in 1936 when the hight of the walls was reduced and the interior re-compartmented. The Lutheran church is located near the Calvin church, within the stronghold. The construction started in 16 July 1820 and it was finished over the year 1823. The works were conducted by the mason Balog Antal, according to the plan and the indications of Evangelist Fist praetor Daniel Ioseph Leonhard (1786 – 1853). The tower is built after the earthquake in 1839 and finished in 1842. The last rehabilitation is the one in 1981.After 1992, the restoration of Orăștiei Stronghold started.