About the Resort
Geoagiu is located at the confluence of the inferior course of Geoagiu river with Mureș river, in a creep formed of the last ramification of Metalliferous Mountains. From the archaeologic point of view, the place of Geoagiu is known because of the old Dacian place Germisara (Germi-hot, Sara- spring well) which was located within present Germisara place and which bacame Thermae Germisara or Germisara Cum Thermis while the Roman occupation. In 1506 Germisara became the residence of feudal domain of the Romanian lords – Radu The Great and Neagoie Basarab. After the First World War 1914-1918, Geoagiu became the main residence with 31 villages under administration. Each of these villages has something which reminds of the past. Geoagiu place is located in a temperate warm climate because of the water network being created a microclimate extremely favorable for tree growing and even very special species as the almond tree, chestnut tree, etc.
Nowadays, in the area of these thermae is Goagiu Băi balneary resort located at 350 m altitude, in an area of impressive geological activity which explains the mezothermal springs (about 30°C). The average yearly temperature is 9.8 °C. The natural cure factors are the alkaline mineral waters, mezothermal and thermal (29 – 32 grade C), peat mud and the sedative climate.
VESTIGES FROM THE ROMAN TIME. The Roman thermae Germisara are maintained almost in the same condition as during the antique period, being built in the present resort Geoagiu Băi, in a cape of 90-95 m diameter. The thermae were known in the first phase as Germisara and then as Dodonei Thermae. The statues of Esculap and Egeea are the proof of the intense activity during that time. Here, a temple dedicated to the Nymphae and coins, statues and other precious metal objects were disclosed (seven gold plates).